to help get you through the offseason (ﾉ◕ヮ◕)ﾉ *:･ﾟ✧*:･ﾟ✧
djf8 said: What are your recommendations on good, full length gay films? I NEED THEM, PLEASE. ;)
Hoooookay! Gay films! Usually LGBT films = cheesy and horrible low budget films but these movies are absolutely delightful! :) Strap in!
QUALITY GAY FILMS:
- SHELTER (2007): Best. gay. film. out. there. Watch it! A touching film about a man struggling with his sexuality when he reunites with a childhood pal, all while trying to make ends meet for his family.
- THE PRIEST (1994): A priest’s inner turmoil about his religion and his lust for men. Scandalous. Controversial. Powerful.
- PATRIK AGE 1.5 (2008) (Swedish): Two gay men wanting to adopt a baby receives a homophobic teenager instead. Absolutely heartwarming film!
- CONTRACORRIENTE (UNDERTOW) (2009) (Spanish): A traditional married fisherman has an affair with a local artist, who accidentally drowns. The fisherman goes through lots of hardship and obstacles from a conservative society to find a peace of mind.
- THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA: QUEEN OF THE DESERT (1994): A few drag queens get a carbaret gig in the Alice Springs, right in the heart of outback Australia. Arguably one of Australia’s most iconic film ever made!
- BRODERSKAB (BROTHERHOOD) (2009) (Danish): Two neo-nazi men fall in love with each other, when it is strictly against the rules of the homophobic cult. Brilliant acting in here!
- BENT (1997): A terrific dramatisation of the horrible mistreatment of homosexuals in concentration camps by the Nazis back in World War II.
- WEEKEND (2011): Two gay men meet a club and fall in love for the weekend. A one night stand becomes something more. Very powerful and touching indie film. Lots of drugs usage, so be warned!
- HAPPY TOGETHER (1997) (Cantonese/Chinese): Two men go through an abusive relationship only to patch things up again. A tumultuous emotional cycle that impacts both men deeply.
- EINAYIM PKUHOT (EYES WIDE OPEN) (2009) (Hebrew): A married, traditional, orthodox Jewish man falls in love with a student, a relationship strictly forbidden by their religion.
- ROPE (1948): A classic Hitchcock film about two men who committed a perfect murder and try to showcase their superiority by inviting a few inferior friends to a party. Terrific cinematography with astounding actors. (not really a gay film but strong gay undertones are implied)
- L’HOMME DE SA VIE (THE MAN OF MY LIFE) (2006) (French): A straight father suddenly harbours intense feelings for his gay neighbour. A tremendous film.
- 3 (2010) (German): A heterosexual couple in a failing relationship both fall in love with the same man. Confusion ensues. One of my favourite films of all time!
- PARAGRAPH 175 (2000): A documentary about the oppression of homosexual in World War II. Definitely a must watch.
- A SINGLE MAN (2009): In the 60s, a man struggles to reconcile his feelings and his thoughts after the death of his partner. Must watch with a brilliant ensemble and gorgeous cinematography.
- CHRISTOPHER AND HIS KIND (2011): A light hearted BBC movie about an Englishman who travels to Berlin in search for inspiration in the gay friendly capitol, only to face the wrath of the Nazis in WWII.
- KINSEY (2004): The tale of the famous Alfred Kinsey, leading father of the study of sexuality.
- MAURICE (1987): After his lover rejects him, a young man trapped by the oppressiveness of Edwardian society tries to come to terms with and accept his sexuality.
- THE WEDDING BANQUET (1993) (English/Chinese): Ang Li’s superb film about a Chinese American struggling to help out his friend with her visa while in a long term relationship with his American boyfriend.
- I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS (2009): A heartwarming romantic comedy depicting the life of Steven Russell, a man who tries at absolutely everything to get by and please his partner.
- THE CELLULOID CLOSET (1995): An eye-opening documentary revealing the secrets of old Hollywood.
- TOTAL ECLIPSE (1995): A dramatisation of the life of the famous poet Paul Verlaine in the 19th century and his boyfriend Arthur Rimbaud. Leonardo DiCaprio gay kiss nuff said.
- VELVET GOLDMINE (1998): Sex drugs and rock and roll. Lots of Britishness.
- WERE THE WORLD MINE (2008): A funny musical about two high school boys who fall in love and turn everyone gay.
- BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (2005): No explanation required!Well, that’s my list but there are heaps of other gay films out there! (unfortunately most of them terrible but ah well) Anyone else who knows any good ones, feel free to chip in as well! :)
For all of those who want to learn a language but don’t know where to start, need extra help as you learn it, or if you’re just bored. These are the resources I’ve gathered over the last few months (feel free to add to it!)
General sites with grammar/sounds/pronunciation for a wide variety of languages
- My Languages
- BBC Language
- How to Learn Any Language
- Effective Language Learning
- The Polyglot Project
More specific sites, targeted at one language
- German here and here
- Spanish here and here
- French here here and here
- Italian here and here
- Japanese here
- Chinese here and here
- Korean here and here
- Vietnamese here
For all ya’ll auditory learners
-also, foreign language mixes on 8tracks
- some german ones
- a few spanish ones
- some french mixes
- some italian mixes
- some russian mixes
- some mandarin mixes
- some japanese mixes
Interactive language-exchanging sites where you can make friends and meet natives wOWie
Tips, advice, and motivation to give you that extra push
- 5 Tips to Get You Started
- a blog on language-hacking tips
- have some motivational videos that provide language courses (Speak from Day 1 and Pimsleur Approach)
- 6 ways to roll your r
- another language blog
For those interested in linguistics, here are 15 interesting articles on the field
i’ve found quite a few resources for irish gaelic, a really beautiful but complex language that you can challenge yourself to learn
- linguistic facts about the language and some study tips
- here’s an online radio
- pronunciation and a youtube channel
- Irish Language Today
If i find more content, I’ll edit this and add it right away. Good luck and have fun!
Some of this stuff and more found here in my resources post :D
Resources are da best because then you can’t use it as an excuse not to learn a language :3
House Rabbit Basics
- Living with a House Rabbit
- Spaying and Neutering
- Litter Training
- Indoor and Outdoor Hazards
- Sources of House Rabbit Information
- Warm Weather Concerns
- Classroom Rabbits
- Children and Rabbits
- Rabbits Outdoors
- Humane Method of Wild Rabbit Control
- Orphaned Baby Bunnies
Other Common Questions
- Basic Supply List
- Vacations and Travel
- Pet Loss Support
- How To Rescue a Rabbit
- Caring for Orphaned Baby Rabbits (Wild and Domestic)
Anonymous said: So if we wanted to watch some French animation, what films would you suggest?
the Triplets of Belleville is about an elderly woman searching for her son who was kidnapped in the middle of a Tour de France race. It’s largely free of dialogue, but the sound effects and such are wonderful. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature—it lost to Finding Nemo.
A Cat in Paris is about a young girl and her cat who discover mysteries in the course of one night. It was also nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Feature, but it lost to Rango.
Persepolis is based on an autobiographical graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi about her early life in Iran. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, but it lost to Ratatouille.
the Illusionist is about an aging magician and an imaginative young girl who form a father/daughter relationship. It was also nominated for a Best Animation Oscar, but lost to Toy Story 3.
The Rabbi’s Cat is a story about a cat who swallows a parrot and gains the ability to speak like a human. It is set in 1920’s Algeria.
Ernest & Celestine is the adorable story about a big bear and a little mouse who forge an unlikely friendship. It was also nominated for an Oscar in Best Animated Picture, but lost to Frozen.
Kirikou and the Sorceress is a story inspired by West African folklore that tells the story of Kirikou, a boy who was born with the ability to walk and talk, who saves his people from an evil witch. The film was popular enough to spawn sequels and a stage adaptation.
A Monster in Paris is a 3D animated musical film that is reaaaaalllly loosely based on the Phantom of the Opera. It’s set in 1910 and is about, surprisingly, a monster that lives in Paris, and his love for a young singer.
The King and the Mockingbird is an 80’s film about a cruel king titled Charles V + III = VIII + VIII = XVI, who is obsessed with a young shepherdess, and whose attempts to capture the young girl are thwarted by a mockingbird whose wife the King had previously killed.
Those are probably the most famous of the feature length animated films.
But the animated short films are just as glorious. Here’s a compilation of a bunch of short films and I can link you to others as well.
Sorry for the long answer but I just really love French animation.
I watched half if them and they’re all so good
Alrighty! I decided to make a masterpost for the lovely and talented Sylvia Plath. Here you will find the links I could find to her various works, journals, interviews, and readings. Please enjoy, and if there is any problem with the links or ones that could be added, please contact me via ask. :)P O E T R Y
- The Collected Poems of Sylvia Plath,(edited by Ted Hughes)
Reading her poetry:
- Lady Lazarus
- The Disquieting Muses
- Parliament Hill Fields
- A Birthday Present
- The Ghost’s Leavetaking
- The Stones
- The Moon Was A Fat Woman Once (The Thin People)
- Fever 103
- Excerpts from Ariel part 1, part 2, part 3P R O S E
Short Story Collections:
- The Bed Book,(Illustrated by Quentin Blake)
- The It-Doesn’t-Matter-Suit, (Illustrated by Rotraut Susanne Berner)H E R L I F E
Interviews with her:
- 1961 BBC Interview with Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes on Literature and Love
- Talking about England
- 1962 Interview with Peter Orr
Documentaries and such on her:
Interviews with those who knew her:
- Smith College Sylvia Plath 75th Year Symposium
- Frieda Hughes on her mother’s drawings
- Q&A with Frieda Hughes
- Interview with Ted HughesA D A P T A T I O N S
Of her life:
Auditions are a daunting yet necessary evil in the theatre world. Nobody loves auditioning, but they do get easier with practice, and for now here’s a few tips for beginners and seasoned pros alike.
Choosing an audition song (this is the part I find most tricky so here’s another good resource)
A whole blog dedicated to audition songs wow
Audition songs for sopranos
Audition songs for mezzos
Audition songs for altos
Audition songs for tenors
Audition songs for baritones
Audition songs for basses
Overdone audition songs/shows
Sheet music for purchase
How to prepare the music for your audition
The day of your audition:
here we go again…..
basically a little while ago i created a list of helpful websites that i wanted to share and it got quite popular and a lot of people asked me to make another list with more!! your wish is my command!!! here is another list of more helpful websites!!! you can find part one HERE and i hope you enjoy this one as much as the first!!
help for school
- concentration playlist
- geography help
- advice on how to study
- download free books
- tips for a productive study break
- study tips
- earn a cute picture of a kitten for writing
- how to get motivated to study
- download free books
- pull an all nighter & do well on your exam
- how to write an essay
- masterpost of educational websites
- study techniques
- time management & motivating yourself tips
- thinking & memorising tips
- research & reading tips
- google citations
- social media citation guide
- college advice (2)
- tips to help you focus
- zen writer
- photoshop help
- trouble sleeping?
- tips for waking up
- quick & easy snack recipes
- easy microwave mug recipe
- yoga poses for menstrual cramps
- 99 life hacks
- need a random number?
- how to make a gif
- font recogniser
- hq pictures for all celebrities
- tattoo information
- list of full musicals on youtube
- budgeting advice
- blog dedicated to finding movies
- 'the end' game
- sites to download free audio books
- cubefield game
- akinator, the web genie
- pandemic game
- folds game
- masterpost of movie masterposts (basically lots of movies)
tumblr/general internet help
- shortens urls
- check the safety of any website
- missing e
- x kit extension
- tumblr saviour
- updates tab for your blog
- html help
- simple themes
- blog backgrounds
- my very simple theme
- blog dedicated to trading urls
mental health help/info
- helpful links (anxiety, depression, self harm, etc)
- radical self love project
- recovery resources
- having a bad day?
- panic & anxiety masterpost
- how to help a friend with anxiety
- depression information
- relaxation playlist
- guided relaxation
- stress relievers
- self injury recovery masterpost
makeup, hair, fashion
- Pitch Perfect
- Without A Paddle
- She’s the Man
- Whip It
- Adventure Land
- Friends With Benefits
- The Hunger Games
- Due Date
- Project X
- Sex Drive
- Mean Girls
- 17 Again
- Alice In Wonderland (Remake)
- This Is The End
- Wedding Crashers
- Easy A
- It’s Kind Of A Funny Story
- Tropic Thunder
- Roll Models
- American Graffiti
- The Devil Wears Prada
- The Notebook
- (500) Days Of Summer
- Love Potion #9
- 16 Candles
- The Vow
- The Breakfast Club
- Pretty In Pink
- Drag Me To Hell
- When A Stranger Calls
- Silent Hill
- The Haunting In Connecticut
- The Ring
- The Ring 2
- The Fourth Kind
- The Grudge
- The Grudge 2
- The Others
- The Messengers
- One Missed Call
- Cry Wolf
- Lady In The Water
- Pans Labrinth
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith
- I Am Legend
- The Avengers
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- Iron Man 3
- Captain America
- X-Men The Last Stand
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine
- X-Men First Class
- Spider-man 2
- Spider-man 3
- The Amazing Spider-man
- Fantastic Four
- The Incredible Hulk
- The Hangover
- The Hangover 2
- The Hangover 3
- Step Up
- Step Up 2
- Step Up 3
- Step Up Revelution
- Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Rings
- Lord Of The Rings: The Twin Towers
- Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King
- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse
- Resident Evil: Extinction
- Resident Evil: After Life
- Resident Evil: Retribution
- Pirates Of The Caribbean - Curse of Black Pearl
- Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Mans Chest
- Pirates Of The Caribbean - At Worlds End
- Pirates Of The Caribbean - On Stranger Tides
- Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone
- Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
- Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
- Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
- Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
- Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince
- Harry Potter And The Deathly Hollows Part 1
- Harry Potter And The Deathly Hollows Part 2
- Final Destination
- Final Destination 2
- Final Destination 3
- Saw II
- Saw III
- Saw IV
- Saw V
- Saw VI
- Saw 3D (7th Movie)
- Howl’s Moving Castle
- The Little Mermaid
- Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
- Lilo & Stitch
- The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
- Emperor’s New Groove
- Despicable Me
- The Incredibles
- Alice In Wonderland
- Peter Pan
- Sprited Away
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Surf’s Up
- Finding Nemo
- A Bugs Life
- Lady And The Tramp
- The Lion King
- Kung Fu Panda
- Beauty And The Beast
- Shrek 2
- Happy Feet
YOU ARE A SAINT
Saturday Morning (Scott/Stiles)
This is for Affectingly because I am feeding her new found Scott/Stiles love. (yessss~) She asked for nuzzles. :’) Hope you like it bb!
Anonymous said: I have CFS and sometimes I want to vent about how tired I am and how much everything hurts, but I'm also overweight and I'm afraid of getting the kind of hate I see you receive. I just wanted to say that I really admire you for the way you stand up to bullies and for talking about your condition despite them. Reading your blog makes me feel less alone.
There is one tip I can pass along that may help. Don’t refer to is as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Call it myalgic encephalomyelitis. The “fatigue” part of CFS is what makes people think you are tired because you are fat. Calling it ME can often legitimize the illness because it sounds all fancy.
I had the choice to refer to my illness as ME when I started talking about it. In the end, I chose to go with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome because I knew it would be harder. I wanted to use my voice to shine a light on invisible illness. I wanted people to see first hand the kinds of comments I got. I wanted to stand up to people who wanted to blame everything on my weight.
But I do not blame you one bit for not wanting to take that on. It takes a special kind of stupid to run towards the fire. I am that special stupid. It is my hope that my stupidity will allow folks like you to not have so much stigma attached to your illness.
Some other things that might help you…
This article has a very good scientific explanation of what CFS is. Oftentimes when people read that, they understand it is more than just a weight issue.
You might also refer people to Michelle Akers. A world class soccer player who was forced into retirement due to CFS. A clear example that this is not a “fat person illness.”
I’m sorry you feel you cannot vent. I know how cathartic that can be. But you are most certainly not alone. I hope you can find some relief from your pain and fatigue.
Welcome to Night Vale is a free podcast in the style of community radio set in a strange, Twilight Zone-esque town called Night Vale.
What do you need to know?
- You can listen to it on itunes for free or listen to it here (scroll all the way down to the bottom for the first one).
- Each podcast is 20-30 minutes long.
- New ones are posted on the 1st and 15th of the month.
- The broadcaster’s name is Cecil.
- It’s weird. Get used to that.
- Yes, the weather section is just music. But it’s awesome music.
- No, Cecil having a third eye, tentacles, moving tattoos, etc. are not canon. These are all fanon interpretations of him. There’s no canon description other than that he has a face with a nose and eyes and mouth, and he’s neither tall nor short, thin nor fat.
- Carlos is perfect.
- Desert Bluffs is a rival town. They suck.
- Sit up when you’re listening to it. Cecil’s voice is smooth and sonorous, and it can put you to sleep.
Why listen to it?
- There’s queer representation in the form of our host, Cecil.
- Cecil’s love interest is a POC. And perfect.
- Cultural appropriation is fucking slammed.
- The fandom is amazing and produces beautiful art and graphics.
- It’s funny.
- It’s unlike anything you’ve ever heard before.
- There’s a floating cat.
Welcome to Night Vale is amazing and perfect and everyone should listen to it. Seriously..
Title: I’ll Show You What My Baby Penguin Can Do!
Warning: smut, homophobia, abduction
Summary: Sebastian was a famous model in Milan, everything in his life was perfect. Simply put he was bored to death. Therefore, he signed up for online dating; searching for someone who would accept him without looking at his appearance first. The result was a beautiful young man from Ohio who had a heart like a saint, named Kurt Hummel. They clicked and became boyfriends in cyber world, until one day something happened and forced the famous model to make a move to defend his beloved boyfriend and reveal his secret.
Note: Chapters 1-7 at link above. All new parts will be reblogged as they’re posted.
Update as of 7/31: 13
Title: Michel’s List
Author: Athena1440 and CeredwenFlame
Summary: Blinded in a car accident, Kurt Hummel is convinced his life is over. Can a chance encounter with an old nemesis at the Lima Bean change his mind?
Note: All new parts will be reblogged as they are posted.
Micheal’s List is now officially on hiatus.